Austin Spinal Cord Injury Lawyer
The spinal cord is the part of the body that connects the brain to everything else. It is one of the most vital parts of the body and is crucial for mobility and taking care of oneself. Unlike most of the rest of the body, the spinal cord does not repair itself after injury. If the spinal cord is damaged, crushed, or severed, that injury is permanent and leaves lasting effects. At Ross • Scalise Employment Lawyers, we believe that nobody should have to deal with a back injury alone if it was caused by another party’s negligence. An experienced Austin spinal cord injury lawyer at our firm stands ready to assert your legal rights so that you can focus on what matters most – your health.
Effects of a Spinal Cord Injury
Spinal cord injuries are categorized as complete or incomplete. A complete injury means that transmissions of neurological signals from the brain through the cord have been severed completely. The victim will have no motor ability or sensation below the point of injury. An incomplete injury describes when neurological transmissions are partially diminished. The victim may have little sensation but moderate mobility or vice versa. They may not be able to move those parts of their body, but they’ll retain a fair amount of sensation.
The prognosis for spinal cord injury victims depends on the level of injury and where the spine is damaged. The higher on the spine, the more of the body is affected. The most severe spinal cord injuries are closest to the base of the skull. A complete injury in the neck may leave the victim totally paralyzed below the injury site, with no bodily control or sensation.
An injury lower on the spine will affect the parts of the body below it. This may mean that the victim will lose sensation in or use of their legs or control over bodily functions. Spinal cord injuries have seriously devastating effects, which can include:
- Full or partial paralysis
- Loss of sensation
- Loss of motor control
- Loss or diminished control over bodily functions, such as bladder and bowel control
- Impaired movement, or the necessity of a wheelchair
- Assistance with daily living and 24-hour care
- Loss of the ability to speak
- Loss or impaired control of breathing, which may necessitate a respirator or other assistive equipment
Spinal injuries will affect every victim differently and result in numerous complications. Victims are often unable to continue life in the same way as before their incidents. As you can see, the effects of a spinal cord injury are severe and permanent. If such an injury resulted from the negligence of another person or entity, then the victim should not have to bear the mounting medical costs and other effects on their own.
Personal Injury Recovery in Texas
If you or a loved one has suffered a spinal cord injury, no matter how severe, retaining the services of a reliable and accomplished Austin spinal cord injury lawyer can make a great deal of difference in the aftermath of the accident. You may be able to collect compensation for damages, including:
- Medical costs
- Additional expenses for ongoing treatments, physical therapy, and rehabilitative services following the initial medical interventions
- The cost of medical equipment such as power wheelchairs and other necessary assistive devices, such as respirators
- Pain and suffering, including mental anguish if the victim loses bodily control, such as the ability to speak
- Diminished quality of life and loss of independence
- Cost of necessary ongoing personal care
- Loss of income from missed time from work and the ability to return to work.
Ross • Scalise Employment Lawyers | Austin, TX Spinal Cord Injury Attorneys
Spinal cord injuries are permanent and can have life-altering effects. It’s vital for victims to understand their rights in holding negligent parties responsible for the damage they cause. Contact the legal professionals at Ross • Scalise Employment Lawyers for a free consultation if you or a loved one has suffered a spinal injury, no matter how severe. We’ll review your situation and discuss the possible avenues for compensation. Our team of Austin personal injury attorneys is committed to holding negligent individuals and entities accountable for the damage they cause.